Block closures

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Thu Jul 27 17:26:29 UTC 2000

Mats,

Mats Nygren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had a look at the compiler and the VM.
>
> I can do the block closures.

Very good! It's one of the things at my wish list and I've thought about
to put it onto my toDo list...

> But don't expect to see anything before the
> middle of October as I have other things that has to be done. I have the
> straighforard way of doing it in mind,

I'v just read the purple book chapter about interpreter stuff, so for me
it wouldn't be straightforward with my current knowledge...

> allocating block contexts.

Do you really mean BlockContexts or rather BlockClosures?

> No fancy
> optimizations.

But blocks shouldn't be much slower than before then.

> The semantics I have in mind is as in ANSI Smalltalk, is that what is
> wanted?

To be compatible to the standard seems to be reasonable for me.

> In particular it will be possible to shadow variables in
> enclosing scopes.

BlockClosures?

> While at it I will restructure the compiler a little.

Seems as if you're really experienced in compiler construction...

Greetings,

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)