Block closures

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sat Jul 29 15:43:03 UTC 2000

Vassili Bykov wrote:

> Eliot's OOPSLA paper describes that improvement, as well as gives a good
> intro to closure implementation in VW in general:
>
> http://www.squeak.org/oopsla99_vmworkshop/oopsla99-contexts.pdf

I have to put some water into the wine here... ;-(

The paper is interesting and stands in the tradition of and is related to
earlier VW implementations, which have extended the ST80 specification.
It addresses the realization of very fast block closures, so far so good.

But to reach this goal, native stack layout is used and different kind of
mappings of ST contexts to native stack frames. I think this fits good into
JIT-Compiler work, but

*** this isn't a platform independent approach ***.

Moreover I don't see a realization just by changing the interpreter and ST
contexts, methods and related things.

To reach platform independence, we should use a slower, but compatible
realization of block closures. More sophisticated techniques should be
applied after a working common variant.

BTW: Are there any papers describing BlockClosures without referring to
native stack layout?

Greetings,

Stephan

--