[BUG] Scamper bugs looking for a fix

Laurence Rozier lrozier at thepattern.com
Sat Jul 1 15:06:03 UTC 2000

"Ted K." wrote:

> Folks,
>         I applaud the overhaul of Scamper that is in progress.  Here are a
> few bugs that are probably independent of the current effort.  Anyone have
> an idea about them?
>
> 1) The page http://www.freetranslation.com/  displays fine and the button
> works.  However, if you choose a different language from the popup menu
> button, several new buttons and fields are added to the page, and the old
> ones are not deleted.  The more times you choose, the more buttons pile up
> below it.
>
> 2) The page http://www.spellcheckit.com  has a form with inputs.  There
> appears to be no way to launch this form in Scamper.  Yes, there is one
> line of Javascript in the window setup, but I don't understand how a
> standard browser uses it.  If you are an HTML expert, tell us how this page
> works!

The JavaScript function on this page is only triggered by the Help button and
terms of service links. Browsers which don't support JavaScript should ignore
the function since it's enclosed withing a comment so there shouldn't be a
problem loading the page. If one clicks on these 2 links in a browser that
doesn't support JS or has it turned off, a runtime error will occur since the
javascript: protocol used is not valid in such a context.

Hope this helps,
Laurence.