Mouse button usage inconsistent with accepted practice?

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Fri Jul 7 23:19:04 UTC 2000

Ned Konz wrote:

> Those of you without 3-button mice shouldn't care about this, but:
>
> I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out why the mouse button
> mapping for buttons #2 and #3 (middle and right) of my 3 button mouse
> was different between Windows/NT and Linux.
>
> I finally figured out that I had the "3-button-mouse mapping" VM
> preference turned off in Windows/NT.
>
> That's interesting, because it was doing what I thought was the
> right thing with that preference turned off.
>
> That is:
>
> * hitting the right button brought up menus
>
> * hitting the (less-used) middle button brought up less-used things
> like Morphic halos and window menus.
>
> This is consistent with Windows behavior.
>
> However, under Linux (and Windows with the 3-button-mouse mapping
> turned ON), the meanings of the middle and right mouse button were
> swapped.
>
> It seems to me that, for consistency with 2-button mice and accepted
> Windows multi-button mouse usage, the mapping should be:
>
> 3-button    2-button   Squeak  Meaning
> Left        Left       Red     Select
> Right       Right      Yellow  Context menus
> Middle      -          Blue    Other stuff (window menus, halos)

I like it as it is under Linux for a 3 button mouse (actually it is more
complicated, because I'm lefthanded; I have translated for righthanded
people):

3-button    2-button   Squeak  Meaning
Left        Left       Red     Select
Middle      Right      Yellow  Context menus
Right       -          Blue    Other stuff (window menus, halos)
, don't know how it is with 2-button, but this could be a reasonable
variant, too.

The finger which lays on the blue button is just the finger which isn't
so strong as the other two on the red and yellow button - if you play
guitar you know what I mean...

Greetings,

Stephan

--