[FIX] Celeste backup problem

Mike Rutenberg mdr at scn.org
Mon Jul 17 19:31:18 UTC 2000

> Mats Nygren <nygren at sics.se> wrote:
> > Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> [Timestamps against fallen images]
> > I'm not into the details of this, but possibly the timestamps you
> > mention can be used to make Celeste check that the disk archive hasn't
> > changed from anywhere else, lowering the risk of loosing information.

(Sorry I have not received any Squeak messages since Saturday, so I may
have missed some context to this discussion...).

Mats,

Celeste should definitely do this time stamp checking.   I earlier sent
out a change set which did this, and I will revise it to
work with the recent changes to Celeste.  (Please send me a copy of your
original message for my reference).

This is part of a larger issue which is to be clear that the definitive
state for Celeste is stored on the disk file, and what is in the image
is a (very helpful) performance enhancing hint.  The current version of
Celeste does little to detect inconsistancies between the two, or handle
them gracefully.  Usually it works fine the way it is, but it can cause
problems.

Mike