[Questions]Events

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 31 15:05:53 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Is this work still useful?
> I think so - I'd love to see a simpler mechanism than the two ugly
> special cases currently in use. If you can think of a way to unify them,
> go for it.

I think a pretty good proposal has gone around the list.  Graned, this
is one big list.  Have the following methods in the core Unix VM:

	registerPollFunction(function)
	unregisterPol/Function(function)

	watchFD(fd, flags, handler)
	stopWatchingFD(fd)

Then, the core Unix ioWait call (whatever its name is) should call all
the polling functions followed by select-ing on the registered FD's.
For any fd's where something interesting happens, call the relevant
handler.

-Lex