slimming the image

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Jul 28 23:52:29 UTC 2000

cole at griffoninc.com wrote:

> I'm sure this has been addressed many times, but there is no good source
> of documentation at the swiki. With the changes in 2.8 and 2.9a things
> have probably changed enough that this question is worth revisiting in
> the context of the 'ship it with squeak' discussion.

Actually, there is some information on the Swiki, if you look at the Squeak FAQ under the question:
"How do you make a Squeak executable that can be distributed? (Including end-user bulletproofing, and
stripping out unused code?)"

Basically, the answer comes down to using SystemDictionary>>majorShrink or some subset of the methods
inside it.  I just tried running majorShrink in 2.8, and it seems to generally work, with a few quirks
such as changesorters not working.

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net, @riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group, Ann Arbor, MI