That Other Use for Squeak

Lawson English english at primenet.com
Sun Jul 2 22:19:11 UTC 2000

I said:

> Heh.
>
> I'd venture to say that virtually EVERY graduate of a 2-year associates of
> applied science programming degree can do this kind of thing.
>
> My SON (who is only 13) can do this kind of thing. He's been doing that kind
> of thing for the last month while being lead programmer in a games
> programming camp for Junior High Schoolers.
>

> It's all in how it is taught.

I was correct.

My son pointed out that he's not very good at accepting input, but assuming
that one HAS gotten the number, here's his algorithm:

Grab the number and put it into a control-array [he learned arrays in the
context of VB controls so he calls all arrays "control arrays].

Once you're done, repeat from 0 to array.count-1

if array[index} >= 0
    add array[index] to summ
    add 1 to p

av = sum/p

Q: What about the negative case?

A: put in the line
    "if array[index] >= 0 OR neg = TRUE
        add array[index] to summ
        add 1 to p

av = sum/p

He came up with the answer on-the-fly, with almost no pauses at all.

--
Reform Party members should be advised that there will be TWO names on the
Reform Party presidential ballot: