Transactions in Squeak?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Jul 9 17:39:05 UTC 2000

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew C Greenberg <werdna at mucow.com> writes:

Andrew> Is there, in fact, any open source framework for a Smalltalk based
Andrew> database interface?  Is there any standardized DBMS interface at all,
Andrew> whether ODBC-related or not?

Andrew> Perhaps it is time to begin doing so -- can we organize and agree on a
Andrew> class structure upon which we can build individual drivers for
Andrew> commercial or open source databases, providing all the logic we
Andrew> require for most database transactions?

Amazing serendipity.  I'm looking at a team trying to decide whether
to use Squeak for a very interesting project (more later) and one of
our requirements is a database for journalling past activity and to
perform simple queries.  My initial thought: just run a small Perl
HTTP::Daemon talking DBI to MySQL, and then get the data "out" of
Squeak using HTTP calls.

I'd be happy to be more involved, although I've said those exact words
about 20 times too often in the past six months.  Too many interesting
things on the planet to do!