Some benchmarks of 2.7 VM vs. 2.8 VM [was Re: LargeIntegers...]

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Mon Jun 19 19:48:56 UTC 2000

At 15:21 18.06.00 -0500, Dwight Hughes wrote:
>Here are some benchmarks [...]

Cool, thank you.  That results look much better.  Interestingly, a Solaris
Sparc 400 MHz processor (VM compiled with gcc 2.95) has only half the speed
of a PII/400.  Even an AMD K6/366 (I think), is much faster and nearly as
fast as your PII/400.

It's interesting how the #do: method was speed up from 2.7 to 2.8.  I think
this will be responsible for the noticable general speedup of Squeak.

BTW, if anybody has a Solaris 2.8 VM compiled with an original Solaris C++
compiler (which shall do much better optimizations I was told) I'd be
interested in that application.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \\ Truth Until Paradox