Proposal4: Show := on fileout / pretty print

Pennell, David DPennell at quallaby.com
Sat Jun 3 13:35:10 UTC 2000

> What I'd like to see (taking this to extremes) is a pretty-printer
> that is highly configurable so that everybody can define their own
> favourite indentation/formatting style.  (Think indentation styles in
> emacs' C mode.)  Choice of assignment operator would, of course be
> part of this.
>
> This way, we can all have our favourite styles automagically.  Plus, a
> reformat won't erase your painstakingly hand-formatted code into the
> default style, nor will the code browser show all sorts of spurious
> differences between the same method but with different formats (well,
> not if it first formats them both to the same style, that is.)

Coopers and Peters published a commercial product for VST called Edit.
It did exactly this.  I used it for a while and found it to be very
useful.  I got to look at anybody's code in MY style.  It used an
external DLL to parse each method as you entered a code pane and then
formatted it according to your style rules.  It was very, very slick.

About 6 months ago, I dug the distribution out of my files with a
thought to implementing something like it in Squeak.  I spent a few
minutes trying to locate C&P in an effort to find out the current
status of the code.  It looks like they are now part of MS.
IIRC, they announced a future VisualWorks version at the time of the
VST release.  I don't know if it ever happened.

-david