Ship it with Squeak

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Mon Jun 26 08:57:00 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>> To me, the most important changes to do for deployment are:
>> * Making Squeak event driven at the VM level to eliminate those
>> occasional weird mouse drags
> Working on it. It's a _lot_ more than VM level work. Many bits of code
> use messages like anyButtonPressed or shiftDown etc which are really
> un-event driven ideas.

But they are really, really needed to make a good interface, so they must be
provided. Actually, it is up to the user event handler whether to poll the
hardware or look at the state of the last received event. But it must also
be possible to look for things that don't generate events, like whether
shift is down, or a regular key is down. It is particularly necessary to use
regular keys as modifiers since the usual modifier keys are taken by mouse
button emulation.

What I would like to see, if you are already digging there ;-), is that all
the input-related messages were tied to the HandMorph, eg. anyButtonPressed
and friends, including keyboard messages. This will have obvious benefits
also for remote Morphic.

Henrik