[VM Win32] vmPath

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Jun 23 11:20:59 UTC 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Lantz Rowland wrote:

> As a result of discussion of a "standard location" folder for distributing
> Plugins, I discovered this difference between the path Strings returned
> from two messages.
>
> Smalltalk imageName.  "<primitive: 121> Correct"
>     'C:\Lantz\Djgpp\Squeak\zLImg\zLSq2-9a\Squeak2-9a.image'
>
> Smalltalk vmPath.  "<primitive: 142> QDos name"
>     'C:\LANTZ\DJGPP\SQUEAK\'
>
> The capitalization of the imageName String is correct. It matches the names
> I used to make the folders and how their names appear in both Squeak and my
> bash shell [1] . I would prefer that the vmPath returned the same LFN style
> information.

I can't say much about the WinVM (although the vmPath seems to get
constructed using GetModuleFileName() and eventually
GetCurrentDirectory() which might explain the difference).

But I have a question: What is the vmPath primitive good for anyway? In
the Unix VM it just returns the image (!) path. But even if this gets
fixed, the image is not allowed to write in the vm directory, because
usually, programs are installed in non-user-writable directories. So for
plugin distribution, an image-subdirectory would be better.

-- Bert