[VM] SourceForge status

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Fri Jun 30 00:54:55 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> In message <395B821C.96C9E6BF at evolgo.de>
>           Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
>
> > VM-Hackers,
> >
> > what is the status of your SourceForge efforts? I have looked into
> >       http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeak/
> > and it seems to be *empty*.
> Me too. I haven't been able to spend enough time to make snse of how to
> use itt yet, but then I'm still having trouble making CVS work for me at
> all. Just doesn't seem to work any way I can realy feel comfortable
> with.
> >

> > When do you think there is a first source tree?
> > Who is/feels responsible to start with it?
> >
> > Possibly Tim's port would be a good start...
> Well, it's Ian's really

Sorry, that's true. But your last version is *working*!

> and he has my latest variant of it as of last
> week. Andreas needs to put the w32 code there, I need to find out how to
> do anything with it, and the mac code really ought to go there as well.
> Not to mention the other folks doing the Be, OS/2, dos, amiga, nintendo,
> palm, EPOC (who, me? And Ed), VMS, MVS, SVM, SMV and Multics ports.

But many parts should be platform independent and should be putted there
ASAP IMHO!

> I also have a vague memory of some thread discussing an improved source
> tree arrangement that would make it easier to keep everything together,
> but  can't find any mail with a definitive statement of the conclusion.

What about:

Stephan Rudlof wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >

> > Yep. Andreas Raab suggested the following:
> >
> >         /VM -- generic stuff
> >         /Unix -- Unix stuff
> >         /Mac -- Mac stuff
> >         /Win32 -- Windows stuff
> >         /Acorn -- Acorn stuff
> >         /BeOS -- BeOS stuff
> >
> > (though I'd prefer Common over VM)
>
> What about /Generic -- generic stuff as for the other items?
>
> With
>         /Generic/VM
> as subdir or
>         /VM -- VM stuff
> as additional root.
>
> Stephan

as a first start. Then there is some work to get a working dir structure
with changed Makefiles to reflect it, to be comfortable with it.

BTW: Do you need to be an admin to change the directory structure at
SourceForge (OK, I could read TFM...)?

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)