[ENH] Proposal to drop contentsOfEntireFile

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Jun 2 08:59:16 UTC 2000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> I think I agree with your desire for uniformity.  I'm not sure this is
> the best time to change 48 methods to bring this about.  How about
> when we are into 2.9alpha?

Yep. IIRC there are places that rely on contentsOfEntireFile closing the
file afterwards ... And, while we're at it, *please* make #reset not
#reopen the file. I cannot imagine any reason for this, but it does cause
severe troubles, for example when the file handle actually is a Unix pipe
or is created outside the file-sandbox.

-- Bert