Syntax & Sematics [was: Re: [Enough already] Re: Proposal3:

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Tue Jun 6 11:43:48 UTC 2000

At 11:13 AM +0200 6/6/2000, Marcel Weiher wrote:
>  > From: "Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at gate.net>
>
>>  How, exactly, does one hope to maintain a system of any size or
>>  written by a group of any size where each component is written in its
>>  own "pluggable" syntax?
>
>Subsystems.  Interfaces.

I suppose you folks are more optimistic than I about a team's
capacity for maintaining software in such an environment, where the
pretty-printer fixes code to suit each programmer's style.

This now means that a programmer sitting at a terminal to work some
code must not only review the code itself, but must also study the
corpus of syntax definitions and pretty printer settings, hoping that
nothing has been set in, well, a "surprising" fashion.

Trying to recall whether a particular fileout or code excerpt is
properly cannonicalized seems itself a special problem.  Trying to
teach Smalltalk in such an environment seems virtually impossible.

It seems to me quite naive to think that this, as it introduces
several new degrees of freedom in expressiveness in a langauge, will
not with that introduce several orders of magnitude in complexity of
development and maintenance.

How are we to even DISCUSS code in a diverse open forum, when our
code itself must first be qualified by the parameters of our operator
precedence settings?

I remind the community that this is an open source project, and hence
a development effort undertaken by a large number of people.  Even
providing features such as parameterized precedence for binary
operators seems to me a recipe for failure.
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
Netwolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
www.netwolves.com