MVC & Morphic - here to stay

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Mon Jun 19 20:04:45 UTC 2000

At 15:56 19.06.00 +0000, Mats Nygren wrote:
>It seems the MVC & Morphic situatation will last for a while.
>
>I propose an Abstract Factory one of the gof Design Patterns, for this.

Yes.  I already thought about this, too.  I see two alternatives:  One
could come up with a window specification literal similar to what
VisualWorks uses and then use two Builder classes which take the
specification and construct MVC or Morphic UIs.  Or one could make a
ComponentFactory object hierarchy with one class for MVC and another for
Morphic which then answers the class names of otherwise protocol compatible
objects.

Actually the usage of MVC/Morphic components are already protocol
compatible, I think.  Unfortunatley, because of some differences in size
and how to create toolbars, constructions methods differ.

The first alternative would allow greater freedom in constructing stuff,
storing just the essence of the UI in a specification.  The latter might be
simpler to implement...

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...come on, kiss the frog!