[ENH][Experimental] CelesteSimilarFilter (was: Re: [ENH][Celeste] custom filter move)

daniel vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Jun 16 20:35:51 UTC 2000

> Not move, but filter.  I actually use the filters in Celeste heavily.
> Furthermore, most of my custom filters are actually just filters against
> a mailing list; if there was a "Same List" button in parallel with
> "Subj. F" and "From F", then almost all of my custom filters would
> disappear.
> But given a good set of filters, I'm not sure why auto-moving is really
> useful.  A good scheme is to apply filters, read the mail under those
> filters, and then either delete the mail or save it.  How does having
> auto-move available improve on this process?
After you've applied the filter, there's no reason you should again have
to choose which category to move it to. And you should have a quick way
to move all similar items to that category even if you haven't yet
applied a filter (or simply dont want to).
So there should be buttons for "filter same sort of messages" (mostly,
but not only, per list) and "move these sort of messages to the
appropriate category". These would shift the basic mode of operation for
both of us (people that filter, and people that don't) from choosing a
rule to choosing an example.

A partial implementation is attached. What do you think?

I just thought of another modus operandi which might be useful, but I
simply must pee. Much relieved. God bless the inventors of asynch
communications.
Continuing the line of auto rule matching, we could have a toc list
looking like this -
-- Celeste
1	6/16/00	Lex Spoon			Re: [ENH][Celeste] ...
.
.
-- Amazon
1	3/31/00	science-fiction-ed	Amazon.com delivers ...
.
.
.
-- ...
And so on. Does this sound convenient?

BTW, anyone know simple automatic text clustering algorithms (sounds
like an oxymoron to me too, but since I saw the hand writing
recognizer...)?

> > > Along the lines you are discussing, how about just having the
> > > top option in the "move all" menu be the name of the filter that is
> > > currently selected?
> > Don't know about you, but I usually read my new mail unfiltered, and
> > then send it all away with a few swipes of the CFM.
> No, I get a couple hundred messages a day, mostly from mailing lists.
> That's too many to read without some sort of filtering.
That makes sense. Squeak is my only high volume list.
If you don't mind, I'm curious, what else do you read?

> -Lex

"Change Set:		CelesteSimilarFilter
Date:			16 June 2000
Author:			Daniel Vainsencher

Subvert the Custom Filter button to work in a new mode -
When a message is already selected, Celeste will try to turn on that
custom filter that would fit this message (showing just messages like
it). If no message is selected, it'll work as usual, allowing the usual
functions, including deleting filters and the like."!