Refactor browsers (Re: Wanna do something?)

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Mon Jun 19 04:27:15 UTC 2000

A.Kuckartz at lilly.ping.de wrote:

> > Refactor browsers
>
> I am working on this. I am especially interested
> in removing duplicate code and decreasing method sizes
> in Browser and PackageBrowser and adding Drag-and-Drop
> support to PackageBrowser.
>
> Please send suggestions for a better name than
> PackageBrowser by private mail.
>
> Is anyone working on the Refactoring Browser?
>
> Andreas

I assume by package browser you are talking about Stephen Travis Pope's yellow Package Browser. I had rolled some of the drag-n-drop support along with icon button and layout support into a submission a few weeks ago. It is perhaps a bit moldy already but there were plans to roll this out soon in 2.9a. (Stefan, what's the status of the Morphic layout support?)

I have also been working a bit with Bob Hartwig on the port of the Refactoring Browser to Squeak. We'll be plugging away at it but are quite busy with other projects. If anyone else has time that they can devote to the Refactoring Browser port, send mailto:bob at bobjectsinc.com and let him know. The underlying model code is pretty solid (we did find one problem last night regarding logging of class changes during the pull up of an instance variable). We have some of the refactorings tied into a subclass of Browser. It needs a number of dialogs developed and a few issues regarding text selections resolved. But there are a number of useful refactorings available from the RB browser today.

-Mark Schwenk
 WellThot Inc.