Ship it with Squeak

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Mon Jun 26 08:57:00 UTC 2000

Paul Fernhout wrote:

> I don't have any fonts. I know there was a discussion of Public Domain
> fonts on the list a long while back. To my knowledge, at least some of
> the fonts in Squeak are still the original Apple ones. Can anyone who
> knows confirm this? What the story on the true-type fonts in Morphic?

According to (at least American) copyright law, bitmap fonts are
"renderings" (I'm not a lawyer) and are therefore _not_ copyrightable. I
think the Apple lawyers were a little bit "optimistic" when they claimed
copyright to those bitmaps. If you want to switch, eg. MS provides some
rather good "free" screen fonts (Verdana et al, but read the legal
fineprint). There are loads of free ones on the net, but they are pretty bad
to 99%.

As far as antialiased fonts go, the patent-free version of FreeType is still
pending. However, it is only needed for _creating_ the bitmaps--these can be
used entirely without the FreeType plugin. Hence the answers to these two
are "no" and "no need to worry"--it's all in the image, and you, the
developer, put it there.

> Are they loaded from the OS? Can I assume people have them?

See the Swiki for a preliminary version and some fonts done with that (the
version there doesn't work in 2.8 after all the various reworking done by
Andreas, but I have a fix myself).

BTW, deploying multimedia with Squeak is a great idea since it makes the
"native look & feel" issue moot (if done with a little care).

Henrik