[ENH][Celeste] custom filter move

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Jun 14 20:14:21 UTC 2000

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Goodness, how many custom filters do you have?  I tend to have about
> 10-20--one for each list--and so no subset is really useful.
I have some 10 categories, some pretty inactive. 4 really active
filters, and I currently simply have only those (I can do the strays
manually).

> Incidentally, there are other ways to filter thinsg than the named
> custom filters.  First, filtering based on from and subject is already
> pretty easy, because you can click on one candidate message and the
> supplied filter is usually correct.
Yup - it's very cool. Reasonably effective replacement for threads. BTW,
how do threads work? anyone know of good solutions to the fact that mail
is really not a tree, but a DAG? (sometimes even a cyclic graph, but
they're pretty rare ;-)

> Second, it would be quite nice to
> have a "mailing list" filter which acts similarly.  Most messages on a
> mailing list have the name of hte mailing list in the header somewhere,
> under something like X-Mailing-List.  If Celeste could grok this header
> like it does From and Subject, then most of my custom filters would
> disappear.  I'm sure others would see the same thing.
So mean have a menu option "Move messages from the same mailing list as
this one to the appropriate category"? Sounds good...

> Finally, it's already pretty easy already to select a filter and then do
> move-all.
:-) done that a few times too many. That had to go...

> Along the lines you are discussing, how about just having the
> top option in the "move all" menu be the name of the filter that is
> currently selected?
Don't know about you, but I usually read my new mail unfiltered, and
then send it all away with a few swipes of the CFM.

There are probably as many different ways to handle mail as there are
users, it's sure good to be able to experiment. If everyone sends their
favorite trick menu option or button, we can later choose or even make a
few preferences, and all enjoy all worlds.