Morphic thoughts and Questions

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jun 20 18:42:50 UTC 2000

Hi all

I decided to rejump into the morphic (without the refactoring browser nearly a
nightmare ;) Everybody should look at that if we want to have a chance to
have good good. (if doing a change cost 5 min and you have 10 s
may be in 2s you will do it!))

So I would like to know what are the most important classes that I
should study and relationships.

For the moment I have:
	Morph (horrible Blob class)
	MorphExtension
	Player??
	PasteUpMorph
	HandMorph

Up until now my view is extremely blurry.  I understand how to use
pluggableMorph to create widget.  I understand that a morph may have an
extension that provide extra state.  I understand that a world has a
worldstate that holds a canvas on which every morph will draws itself.

I try to understand Morphic by looking at class catgerories per categories.

In fact I really have the impression that Morphic are impacted by the
scripting, turtle etoy like stuff.

Was it the same in Self?
I was dreaming that in Self the model was simpler.

I have a bunch of questions

	- Has any morph a player?
	For example, I have the impression that the pluggableMorph
	do not have one.
	When the player is necessary it is hold in the morph extension.

	I have the impression that the player is only needed for the
	scripting environment. So or a basic player should be put in
	the Morphic Kernel or I was wondering if Morph could not be
	split into two classes:
	 one without extension and etoy related stuff
	 and one with extension.

	A bit like what people made in VisualWorks were they split the
	View class into three classes (one with the controller, model).

	- What is the difference with a player and an actor state?
	I really the impression that actorState has nothing to do with
	Morph but is just an impact of scripting eToy,

	- Is PasteUpMorph is the class of the current screen when I open
	a morphic project?
	if yes (I hope that I understood right)
	why PasteUpMorph needs to have information about
	lastTurtlePositions, TurtlePen, TurtleTrails........
	I was thinking that only when we use morphic having player we would
	need that kind of information.

	- FormCanvas has a strange classVariable called AA that nobody uses.

Stef
--
Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.