LargeDictionary & LargeIdentityDictionary

Eric Arseneau eat at huv.com
Sat Jun 17 05:56:49 UTC 2000

I just ported the implementation of EpLargeDictionary from VA.  I had run
into a big performance problem with using a dictionary and found this class
by accident.

Now, I ran into the same thing in Squeak and needed a fix.  One of my
methods went from running for 5 (then I killed it, god know how long it
would have gone for), to seconds.

I remember there was a discussion about hash and dictionaries being slow due
to the hash density being pretty bad.

Well, this large dictionary I implemented is a dictionary of dictionaries
and it seems to work quite well.

If anybody is interested, I can give them the code.  I would love to release
it, but I have not had time to completely test it and make it fit in with
the Squeak world.  So if someone wants to do this and release it fine.
Otherwise I'll release it on my own when I get a chance.