True multithreading, a la the Java VM???

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 6 21:02:00 UTC 2000

At 2:05 PM -0400 6/6/00, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>Er..."putting threading down into the VM" and "mapping threads to some
>external thread system" are different.

I do understand that these are different things.  But the original
requestor wanted the latter, and doesn't that require the former?  If
you're going to use native threads, aren't you going to have control
them from native code, and thus, more of it is going to move into the
VM?  (Hard to express tone in email, so let me be explicit: I'm not
trying to be argumentative -- I'm seriously interested in grokking
these issues.)
Thanks!
  Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu