Squeak, NT, CGI and Microsofts web server?

Gerardo Richarte core.lists.squeak at core-sdi.com
Sat Jun 17 02:12:00 UTC 2000

Peter William Lount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The http://www.fastcgi.com module for Apache and other web servers is the

	I've been looking for a way to interface Squeak with internet in a
commercially reliable way, and found fastcgi a few days ago, but haven't
thought of usign both together. I love this idea!

>                                     The application servers can be on the
> same server as squeak or on another box as required or desired for
> performance and security. Fastcgi can be setup to use one squeak image per
> request (not recommended) or to use (one or) many squeak images each
> handling many requests at the same time (recommended).

	I would vote for the following approach:

	a single squeak running for every [squeakable] request on an url like:

	http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/Squeak?script=ScriptName&arg1=arg1&arg...

	this Squeak image built for interfacing with fastcgi, and with a "main"
loop that executes the appropiate "script".

	With this schemen you'll have as many Squeaks running as httpd you have,
right?
	What whould be performance penalty for havving a sinle Squeak licening to
all requests (per httpd)? I think none, am I worng?

> There is also the possibility that the exact same web objects written would
> work with a Squeak web server so both "minds or approaches" are represented
> and possible.

	I like this! I like this a lot. I think that it should be near easy to
write some code (I'm talking about a new VM, not FFI code) to turn Squeak in
a fastcgi sscript, and use part of Comanche's architecture, from HTTPRequest
to ComancheModule! Yes!

> I have thought alot about creating an apache module that would use SOAP or
> some other XML tag protocol to talk with application servers.

	I think this is not needed, I like better the idea of having Squeak
built in httpd as a fastcgi application.

> A fastcgi capability for Squeak enables squeak to compete with other
> languages and become a web server citizen.

	Yes!
	and now... let's go for the world!!!! (-:

	Conqueror Bye!
	Richie++

--- For a personal reply use gera at core-sdi.com