ARM Linux Squeak (was "Linux on the Compaq iPAQ H3600")

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Thu Jun 29 07:23:52 UTC 2000

> ...there are ARM/Linux machines that would produce a suitable
> executable, such as the NetWinder (www.rebel.com) although I haven't
> been able to produce a working VM for mine since Ian changed to the
> autoconf stuff. Does yours still work ok Craig? Something about
> missing floating point libraries or similar.

	On my machine the problem is that there aren't ARM register definitions
in sqGnu.h. In particular, the C compiler barfed at gnu-interp.c:4308,
because the currentBytecode register (CB_REG) wasn't defined. Everything
was groovy after I inserted the following just before sqGnu.h:125:

***

#if defined(__arm__)
# define IP_REG asm("%0")
# define SP_REG asm("$1")
# define CB_REG asm("$2")

***

	I don't remember how the registers were chosen for the other
platforms... Nothing caught fire with the above, so I assume it's okay.
:)  Ian, would you please add something like this to sqGnu.h?

	The VM and compiled plugins I built is at
http://smalltalk/squeak2.7NetWinder.zip.

	thanks,

-C

--