Linux on the Compaq iPAQ H3600

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 27 11:53:14 UTC 2000

>From RCFoC came a referece to linux on the iPAQ H3600.

I guess that if you built the ARM crosscompiling tools on another system
you could just build Squeak from the current linux VM sources and
you'd be good to go.

The caution summary is that you can't go back to wince once you've
done this.  Some might call that an advantage...

cheers

bruce

*   Linux In Your Pocket?  -- Last week we found that Linux will soon
    be running in the "radio" on your kitchen counter (Kerbango's
    Internet Radio -
    http://www.compaq.com/rcfoc/20000619.html#_Toc485458758), and now,
    a week later, we find that the Linux "iAppliance" trend is
    continuing -- into your pocket.

    If you're a developer willing to seriously rummage "below the
    covers" of Compaq's new 206 MHz, 32 megabyte RAM, 16 megabyte flash
    memory, 320x240 color display (and more) handheld iPAQ H3600
    (http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/), the new
    Handhelds.org site (http://www.handhelds.org/Compaq/index.html) and
    Compaq's "Open Handheld Program" can help you replace the iPAQ's
    native Windows CE with Linux.  (But note that this is NOT for the
    technically faint of heart -- read the cautions at
    http://www.handhelds.org/Compaq/iPAQH3600/install.html before
    beginning!)

    Why might you want Linux in your pocket?  Aside from being in vogue
    in some circles, this represents an intriguing first-of-a-kind
    commercially off-the-shelf available hardware development platform,
    for exploring completely new applications that might find a home in
    a powerful 6.3-ounce, multimedia pocket device!

    According to IDC senior analyst Jill House in the June 19 IDG News
    Service (http://www.pcworld.com/cgi-bin/pcwtoday?ID=17297), this
    "represents the first time someone major has supported Linux for
    handhelds."  And it should be most interesting to see where this
    leads.