Independent projects in squeakville (or: the end of SqC's evil tyranny ;-)

Karl Goiser Lists at TassieMade.com.au
Mon Jun 5 23:52:06 UTC 2000

Hi,

I'd like to add my 2 cents on the issue of research vs development.

I really don't think there is a research/development divide.  For
example, I have a *development* project ahead and I'm going to
*research* it in Smalltalk.  If it works, I'm willing to translate it
to a more deployable environment (Objective-C?).

The problem that I can see happening is that Squeak is an
everything-including-the-kitchen-sink environment, so all the updates
and downloads have to always refer to everything possible.  If Squeak
were broken up (woops, I hope nobody from MS is reading this) into a
one core and a series of 'projects' or 'applications', I could remove
things I didn't want and not worry about its updates.  A group of
people could work on a 'project' and have updates etc for it alone
without affecting people not interested in it.  Also, updates to the
'core' could be required SqC's sanction, for example.

Each 'project' could have its own mailing list for discussion and updates...

Ultimately, could it be that everybody has been waiting for 2.8 for too long?

Karl