Trouble downloading message in Netscape (Was Re: Windows CE and minimal image)

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Jun 2 12:59:32 UTC 2000

Josh Flowers wrote:

> Well, that was odd.  How about this?

Actually, the previous email before this one I am replying to (with lots
of single character lines) somehow prevented me from downloading any
more email into Netscape Communicator 4.6.

The problematical message's information:
>> Subject: RE: Windows CE and minimal image
>> Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 03:36:21 -0400
>> From: Josh Flowers <joshflowers at mac.com>

Netscape kept choking trying to save that message, leaving me with 19
other messages I couldn't download.  The problematical message showed up
though -- one time for every time I had tried to download my mail.

I resolved this by opening up Squeak and modifying the Celeste code to
only fetch and delete one message at a time.  Then I downloaded that
message into Celeste. That was a bit scary for a moment when it reported
20 messages downloaded -- I missed patching the UI confirmation.

After that, I could download the rest of my mail into Netscape.

Here's to the power of open source software and Squeak!

[Too bad other people who might have this problem won't see this
message!]

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com