LargeDictionary & LargeIdentityDictionary

Griggs, Travis tgriggs at keyww.com
Wed Jun 21 21:21:22 UTC 2000

Eric Arseneau wrote:

> I just ported the implementation of EpLargeDictionary from VA.  I had run
> into a big performance problem with using a dictionary and found this class
> by accident.
>
> Now, I ran into the same thing in Squeak and needed a fix.  One of my
> methods went from running for 5 (then I killed it, god know how long it
> would have gone for), to seconds.
>
> I remember there was a discussion about hash and dictionaries being slow due
> to the hash density being pretty bad.
>
> Well, this large dictionary I implemented is a dictionary of dictionaries
> and it seems to work quite well.
>
> If anybody is interested, I can give them the code.  I would love to release
> it, but I have not had time to completely test it and make it fit in with
> the Squeak world.  So if someone wants to do this and release it fine.
> Otherwise I'll release it on my own when I get a chance.

Just curious... I've toyed with doing things like this a couple of times, but I
always get curious about what the legalities are. Can one port WebSphere for
example to Squeak, and then offer to send others the code? This is an extreme
end... and there's probably this wonderfully gray line somewhere in there...

--
Travis Griggs (a.k.a. Lord of the Fries)
Member, Fravenic Skreiggser Software Collective