[ENH] More Scamper Buttons & code cleanup

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Thu Jun 29 02:13:41 UTC 2000

Hi Folks.

>From the change set...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This change set incorporates and extends Karl Ramberg's Scamper button row
enhancement.

Enhancement:  I've added a History button to Karl's button row.
Code Cleanup:  I have also spent some time cleaning up the Scamper's window
creation code.  The code is the same; no functionality has been lost, but
Scamper's openAsMorph method has been substantially refactored.  I'm hoping
my changes make the code easier to maintain, reuse and read.  I also wrapped
some file stuff in an ensure block.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used it for a while (an hour or so), so I think it'll work for you.  I've
only tried it out on Squeak 2.8, though.

Cheers,

---==> Chris

PS> Scamper needs some work!  I don't know how much time I'll be able to
spend on it, but it would be good if somebody would start a Scamper feature
request list somewhere.  I'm sure that some of you will be interested in
helping to clean up this cool tool.  :-)

I'll start the list with:
1.  The back/forward behavior is screwy.  I noticed a couple of times that
the indexes got messed up.  I don't have time to look into this tonight,
though (it's 10:15p and I've GOT to get some dinner!).
2.  If you browse a page like www.nasa.gov, or www.cnn.com, a lot of the
text is pressed up against the left wall of Scamper.  This is not what I see
when I use Netscape or M$'s browser.
3.  It would be nice if either the cursor, or the URL in a page would
indicate that you've clicked it.
4.  It would be nice if Scamper had some form of caching of page contents.
When I browse the Swiki, it has to reload the menu widgets for each page.
This is very wasteful.

 <<ScamperButtonRow3.1.cs.gz>>