[ENH] A Test TCP/IP Server based on lastest macintosh 2.8a update/VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 12 20:02:18 UTC 2000

Here is a little stress test server I wrote to test the new Mac Socket/OT
code. Mostly to pump gigabytes of data.

Basically it does a listen, and on accepts spins off a work element for
another process to pickup via a shared queue. This process then reads the
incoming data, and builds a dummy variable length static response string and
drops that work element on a queue. Finally a write process wakes up takes
the work element and writes the response to the socket and closes the socket
and records how long it took to complete the entire accept to close task.

As mentioned before this code has run as many as 58 sustained connections
per second and moved anywhere from 4Mbits to 12Mbits per second sustained,
these number of course I think were limited by the number of clients I could
rustle up.

I cannot speak for how it will work on other platforms or on macintosh
without the lastest 28.a update and new VM. Of course willing parties are
always welcome to try other combinations of Squeak and VMs

Oh yes yes there *might* be some race conditions on the counters for you
folks that look at and work with multithreaded code, but I at the time
didn't care mostly because I didn't see any problems.

Note this code creates a log file that gets added to every seconds, great
for filling up hard drives. Look at the statistical process to  understand
what's written. If anyone wants to share some log files you are welcome to
send me them (directly please not the list).

Lastly you send terminate to any running instance of the server to terminate
it.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6