De gustibus [was: Re: [GOODIE] New look...]

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Jun 6 18:16:20 UTC 2000

"Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at gate.net> had occasion to write (twice recently)...

>De gustibus non disputandum est.

My father was a latin scholar (actually he was a sanskrit scholar, but that didn't keep him busy enough), and he gave me a special appreciation of this oft-quoted phrase.

We were arguing about a matter of taste, and I finally said with a smirk, "Well, Pater, de gustibus non disputandum est."  He looked me in the eye with his wise old smile and said, "Exactly."  Something about how he said it cause me to ask what he meant.  He explained that originally way this was an elitist statement -- that good taste is, of course, absolute -- I have it and you don't, buddy, so don't try to argue about it.

I seldom won, but it was fun to lose.

	- Dan