Design Questions: Standard/System Dialogs Enhancements

John-Reed Maffeo (rlpa80) rlpa80 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Jun 6 08:09:56 UTC 2000

> > At 13:57 18.05.00 -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > >If anyone is looking for a little project that be of considerable
> > >benefit ( no IMHO - I don't _have_ humble opinions), please consider
> > >making a simple dialogue class which can be use to replace the popup
> > >menus I keep seeing to tell me a file already exists, do I want to
> > >overwrite it? It would be nice to have something that can understand a
> > >few simple keystrokes such as tab/shift-tab, return, maybe Y or N, that
> > >kind of thing.
>
> There is a set of "standard" dialogs I did a while ago:
>
> http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/554.html
>
> This version doesn't support keyboard handling and is not modal (which
> could be combined with the MacOS X dialogs from the list).
>
> IMHO (I have such ;-) ) the progress indicator (there is already a
> progress morph) and the popup lists (a selection dialog still needs to
> be done) should also be replaced.
>
> Michael

Hello Michael,

My name is John-Reed Maffeo and I have accepted Tims request to work on
enhancements to your Standard Dialogs Framework. I am a Squeak/OOP newbie
but I think I can do a credible job.

A bit of background on how the Standard Dialogs are designed to fit
into the system would be helpful. I am a bit confused since I found that
Object possesses both an inform: and a confirm: instance message which
are almost identical to the class messages inform: and confirm: in
MVCDialog.

Am I correct to think that at some point the Object methods would be
refactored to use MVC or Morphic dialogs depending on the context of the object
to which the messages are sent?

There are other frameworks in the system which seem to do similar things as
does Standard Dialog. I am thinking of some of the Pluggable<foo> classes.
Is there anything to be concerned with here?

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,

John-Reed Maffeo
Mesa, AZ, USA