Problem to upgrade

Raymond Asselin raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 10 16:58:46 UTC 2000

When trying to update the last 11 changeSets from CS.2300 with VM2.8beta4, I received this
message:

«« Message pattern expected ->primReadStart: fHandle fPosition: fPosition count: count
    "Start a read operation of count bytes starting at the given offset in the given
file."

    <primitive: 543>
    self error: 'READ THE COMMENT FOR THIS METHOD.'

"NOTE: This method will fail if there is insufficient C heap to allocate an internal
buffer of the required size (the value of count).  If you are trying to read a movie file,
then the buffer size will be height*width*2 bytes.  Each Squeak image retains a value to
be used for this allocation, and it it initially set to 0.  If you are wish to play a
640x480 movie, you need room for a buffer of 640*480*2 = 614400 bytes.  You should execute
the following...

    Smalltalk extraVMMemory: 800000.

Then save-and-quit, restart, and try to open the movie file again.  If you are using Async
files in another way, find out the value of count when this failure occurs (call it NNNN),
and instead of the above, execute...

    Smalltalk extraVMMemory: Smalltalk extraVMMemory + NNNN

then save-and-quit, restart, and try again.
"

so I tried:
1)    Smalltalk extraVMMemory (800000) 'cause I'm in altern.syntax',
2)  Save and quit the image
3)  Restart Squeak
4)  Same error so loop to 1) with (1000000). Return sameError so loop again to 1)
with(150000). Return sameError.....

Question:  is there a specific value we can try ? I don't know how to access the count.