Double Byte strings ?

Aran Lunzer aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp
Sat Jun 17 16:03:25 UTC 2000

Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> At 14:45 16.06.00 -0500, Eric Arseneau wrote:
> >Does Squeak support double byte strings ? ie a String that can store
> >characters outside the range of ASCII 0-255.
>
> No, it can't.

er... well, Yoshiki Ohshima's preliminary version of a
"multi-lingualised" Squeak certainly can.  It has a few rough edges -
some methods are not optimised, and string comparisons between standard
and double-byte strings are somewhat unpredictable - but I've found
workarounds that let me use it happily on Japanese text.

On his web site (see
http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/squeak-multilingual-e.html )
are instructions for installing the MultiString class and some Japanese
character sets.  That version was designed to be imported to Squeak 2.4,
and needed some minor tweaking to work on 2.7 (I can give you those
updates if you like).  However, Yoshiki recently said he was working on
a re-design of the whole thing - perhaps more generally "multi-lingual"
- so depending on how test-pilotish you're feeling you might wish to
await further announcements :)

Bye for now

Aran
Aran Lunzer                 aran at bigfoot.com
Meme Media Laboratory       lab: +81 11 706 7262 / fax 7808
Hokkaido University
Sapporo 060-8628, JAPAN     http://ca.meme.hokudai.ac.jp/people/aran/