Cheap updates

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Wed Jun 7 03:27:12 UTC 2000

Richard,

> Andreas Raab completely misunderstood.

Thanks, how encouraging ;-)

[Example deleted]
> So we have
>     99993	Method texts with no compression
>     42462	Method texts compressed separately WITHOUT priming (42%)
>     37645	Method texts compressed separately WITH priming (38%)
[...]
> But for ChangeSets, where only a few methods might be affected,
> priming definitely _does_ pay.

Oh well. I guess there are different ways in which the above could be read.
One is that given the approx. 100 selectors in BBSim you've got a size of
~420 vs. ~370 bytes per simulated change set. I'm not quite sure how much
that matters ;-) Secondly, your example did not include the space required
for transmitting the information that BBSim was the class affected so your
scenario was to optimistic in this respect (in particular considering that
most CS affect more than one class). And, given that even in this optimistic
scenario the advantage is less than 15% the additional effort seems a bit
dubios to me.

So why don't you run a somewhat more realistic scenario through all the
change sets that are out on the server?! Should give you plenty of
information how much one can really gain by priming. I'd be interested to
find out!

  - Andreas