What does a Squeak do between updates?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Jun 6 18:46:54 UTC 2000

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 19:44:34 +0200 Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at 3plus4.de> wrote:
>I'm currently updating my image and I wonder what happens between two
>processings of update files.  It seems that all it does is to show that
>busy cursor.  Loading and processing files only happens once in a while
>(every 3 seconds or so).  That's really annoying.
>
>If I try to stop it and debug, I get more debuggers and can't continue.  So
>I'll continue, waiting while I write this email...
>
>(Could it be that the update checks the server's directory every time?)

Stefan,

It doesn't look that way. I put some Transcript stuff in the loading process and saw:

www.webpage.com/~kaehler2/Squeak2.0/updates/2211redCar-sw.cs
	1730 ms to get http and 410 ms to update image
www.webpage.com/~kaehler2/Squeak2.0/updates/2212FormCanvasCleanup.cs'
	6396 ms to get http and 2755 ms to update image
www.webpage.com/~kaehler2/Squeak2.0/updates/2213FXBlt-Alpha.cs'
	36450 ms to get http and 18292 ms to update image
www.webpage.com/~kaehler2/Squeak2.0/updates/2214NamedPrimHack.cs'
	1831 ms to get http and 1131 ms to update image
www.webpage.com/~kaehler2/Squeak2.0/updates/2215MiscFXFixes.cs'
	3619 ms to get http and 1251 ms to update image
www.webpage.com/~kaehler2/Squeak2.0/updates/2216firingFix-sw.cs'
	639 ms to get http and 225 ms to update image

Taking a deeper look at the third item, I found it was 197K in length and received data in chunks averaging around 2K (or about 100 chunks). The time waiting for data available was rarely below 100 ms per chunk (or 10 seconds total minimum), but occasionally over 5 seconds. I think you are just seeing normal network speed variations.

Cheers,
Bob