We will not catch flies with vinager!!!

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Jun 21 12:34:16 UTC 2000

Paramount might object, but I vote for a Star Trek: TNG look.
An example of this "Okudagram" look is at:
  http://www.startrek.com/
or any of numerous fan sites.

We've been kicking around the idea using something like this look for a
remake of our PlantStudio product in Squeak. Any one on the list have
any comments on the legal implications of making a Squeak interface that
looks like this?

Basically, there are a lot of rounded menus and colored bars. There is
one or two main panes, which are navigated using the visible choices.
These visible choices sometimes are hierarchical (with curvy bars to
show the hierarchy) and they reconfigure as you choose from other lists.
The list choices can be user customizable. In normal operations, new
windows are not created -- additional display space is just claimed for
the new task. (I'd probably replace the all upper-case menu items with
mixed case or lower case -- although this might spoil the look.)

Many web sites have a similar layout, just without the curvy bars etc.

I think such a look could reduce the image size of Squeak and improve
the performance because there would not be as many overlapping things to
draw or do hit detection for. I think novice users would find it easier
to navigate. If you really wanted popup windows, you would reconfigure
the display to allow them in the center part.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com