How to handle Attachments with Celeste?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 5 14:05:15 UTC 2000

"Bernhard Pieber" <pieber at acm.org> wrote:
> I am considering using Celeste as my mail reader. I have some questions to
> those of you do so already.
>
> If I receive a message with an attachment, like an Excel file, how can I
> reconstruct that file from the encoded version in the message? Can I do it
> from Squeak or do I need an external tool? Which tool would you suggest? And
> how about attaching such a file to a message I compose in Squeak?

Celeste doesn't handle attachments.  What I do (on Unix) is use "save
message" and then run metamail on it.

If anyone wants to implement multip-part messages in Celeste, that would
be great.  The easiest approach seems to be to extent MailMessage with
code for dealing with multiple parts, and then extending Celeste with a
UI for viewing these parts.  I would have done it long ago if I could
have thought of a good UI, but I haven't, and so it's never gotten done.

Heck, if someone can just propose a UI for multipart messages, that
would be progress over the current situation.

Lex