UTC-8 (was Re: Celeste encoding (was: Duplicate messages in Celeste))

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Thu Mar 16 19:54:04 UTC 2000

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> I know very little (in the sense of "nothing at all") about character
> encoding and all that. And actually, I don't really want to!

Your knowledge & sentiment mirror mine exactly.

> Is there a plan for dealing with Unicode, at least externally? I'm really
> just talking about enough to satisfy a parser...I'm happy to punt on
> display and font issues. Though I would like ASCIIish text to be
> intelligible ;)

Your aims complement mine fairly exactly. You do the encoding and I'll
almost promise to make FreeType generate fonts to work with it. As I've
mentioned, the C side of it already supports encodings quite extensively.

> Thanks, though. I'll certainly be checking these out if I can't con anyone
> else into helping :)

Sorry, I don't have any exotic characters in my name...

Ok, now I'm going to violate the Squeak list code of ethics, but Bert and
Lex have been wishing so publicly for changing character encodings to almost
auto-qualify themselves as volunteers... 8-()

And while you're at it, it would be great if the result were a general
encoding/mapping facility, where you could just provide a new dictionary or
so to implement a new encoding standard. For it's true as they say, they
great thing about standards is that there are so many. It's not necessarily
harder I'd think. There are already two different mapping schemes
implemented in Squeak, by Andreas and Bert.

But please don't try to support the hieroglyphics version of Unicode...

Henrik