Display Update Speed

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 22 17:14:54 UTC 2000

Okay, I was actually testing without -xshm.  Here's a broader spread,
based on Bob Jarvis's code:

>> without -xshm:
>>
>> 32:   181  180  178  174
>> 16:   234  231  229  223
>> 8:   210  220  219  213
>>
>> with -xshm:
>>
>> 32:   179  72  70  152
>> 16:   126  126  128  134
>> 8:   125  112  115  111

So it's close to twice as fast with -xshm.  But even so, it still takes
at least 100 ms in almost all combinations.

By the way, this is a 32-bit display (xdpyinfo says depth=24, bpp=32),
so that might explain why some people are getting faster results.

And incidentally, I just realized the VM I have doesn't work with -xshm
where Squeak and the display are both 32-bit. :(  The screen just goes
black when I try it  (so interpret the 32-bit numbers with -xshm with a
grain of salt :)).  I have no idea if this has been fixed more recently,
and since I don't do much graphics stuff, I'm going to leave it alone
for now.

Lex