UTC-8 (was Re: Celeste encoding (was: Duplicate messages in Celeste))

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 15 20:59:02 UTC 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

> While around the topic of exotic characters, note that FreeType (but not my
> Squeak code) supports all the various character encodings of truetype, like
> Mac, Win, and Unicode.
[snip]
> Just write a method or two in Squeak for mapping the characters (I can show
> what methods to write but don't know Unicode or character encodings in
> general) and you could put all these characters in a bitmap font and use
[snip]

Cool, quick question (for anyone). I'm trying to port the (newly open
sourced) VisualWorks XML parser (it validates!). Being able to decode
UTC-8 (?) or whatever would be a good start (I think! I don't  know much
about this).

Anyone have some insight to offer? (About anything. Wait, scratch that.)

VW has a StreamWrappingEncoder (or some such) which, from what I can
remember, maps the stream to the internal form. Someone want to whip me up
one for Unicode?

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.