who's who on swiki

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Thu Mar 2 11:08:36 UTC 2000

Hi guys!

Some more info on strange swedish characters follows.

--- Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:08:37 +0900 Aran Lunzer <aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp> wrote:
> >In fact, the o-umlaut doesn't display correctly on any of the systems I
> >have here - Goran's name appears as `G " an'.  Is anyone else having
> >trouble with this kind of character?

Well... :-) About the rest of the world. :-) We have three "funky" characters in swedish:

a with a ring on top: Pronounced like the "a" in "all"
       Small: (Character value: 140) Large: (Character value: 129)
a with two dots on top: Pronounced like "ai" in "fair"  ((Character value: 138)
       Small: (Character value: 138) Large: (Character value: 128)
o with two dots on top: Pronounced like "i" in "first" (almost but the back of the tongue should
be raised a little and the sound should be formed a little bit closer to the teeth) Tricky.
       Small: (Character value: 154) Large: (Character value: 133)

> I have trouble, too, with my email client (I never got around to finishing the
> odd-characters-in-the-address mode). His emails arrive here with
>
> 	"G÷ran" Hultgren <gohu at rocketmail.com>
>
> as the sender, where the second character is "Character value: 247". I'm not real sure about
> whether the double quotes in his name are correctly placed - I'll dig around for the rfc and

They should be above the o - two dots.

And BTW, my "G" is pronounced like "y". Göran is actually the swedish version of "George" or the
russian "Jurij". It is also a little tricky to pronounce because of the "double intonation" (I
believe it is called) that swedish use and not many other languages I think.

So the name is pronounced "y" as in "yummy", ö as "i" "first", r as the british says it - rolling
and more "post dental" placement of the tounge tip, a sounding "between" the a in "far" and the a
in "address", and finally the n as an ordinary "n" in "fan". And due to the "double intonation"
both syllables should be stressed and not only the first! :-)

> check. The interesting thing is that if you use QuickPrint>>drawString:at: to render his name,
> it stops after the G since 247 is outside the range of Squeak's default font and QuickPrint
> doesn't continue after a stopCondition is found. So he shows up as "G" in my hierarchical lists
> and "Göran" when in a regular text morph.

He, I have always marvelled over the fact that these letters work in Squeak! I mean, hey, the a
with the ring is somewhat unique to swedish I believe.

Happy squeaking and sorry for breaking your browsers with my name, Göran

PS. Perhaps I should change my entry in who is who with a &aring; thingy DS.

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi