Safe pattern for creating new root classes

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Mar 24 13:09:21 UTC 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:57:50 -0800 "Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> wrote:
>You're missing that
>
>	AAA subclass: #BBB
>
>will, when filed in and AAA doesn't exist, be interpreted as
>
>	nil subclass: #BBB
>
>For the code there's no difference because when it's parsed and AAA is not
>there it'll be put into Undeclared and initialized with nil.

I see what you mean. Fixing this sounds like a good idea. Another change along these lines that would help here and in other cases would be if the filein methods automatically posted a warning at the end if the number of Undeclared variable increased (or even decreased?) during the filein. I have more than once filed in some code and forgotten to check Undeclared only to regret it later.

Cheers,
Bob