SqueakBook

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Mar 13 00:19:33 UTC 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> 	I tried to get someone to write a chapter on Morphic, but wasn't able
> 	to.
>
> Without that, there is no point in _any_ other chapter that mentions
> Morphic.  You might as well forget the entire book without that chapter.

Clearly not on two points:
	1) Not all, and perhpas not even a majority of the chapters
mention Morphic, or, at least, they do not do so in a way that requires
explanation of Morphic.
	2) There are, and will, be alternative sources about the basic
framework of Morphic. As I understand the book, it's a special
topic/community picture sort of book. So, it's reasonable to presume at
least a basic familiarity with Squeak.

Admittedly, the MathMorphs chapters might well do with a little back up,
but, as I recall, the function plotter one was fairly intelligible on it's
own, in a general way. It didn't seem *that* hard to get a sense of the
capabilities of the system, and the nature of the work being done.

I agree that a morphic chapter would be nice, perhaps an amended (and
abridged :)) version of the original Morphic paper.

After all, there's not, IIRC, a chapter on Smalltalk either, and *they
all* mention *that* :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.