Upgrading to 2.7 or beyond on FreeBSD

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Thu Mar 16 15:47:34 UTC 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Bob Kot wrote:

> MAINTAINER=     jesse at cs.uni-magdeburg.de

You can write to Roland Jesse directly, he's a nice guy ;-)

> If this maintainer is tuned in to this list

AFAIK he reads the list only occasionally.

> Can I run my 2.4 VM and filein some set of changes that will result
> in a 2.7 image from which I could generate a new interp.c file
> which could be compiled into a new VM-2.7?

That won't do - the OS support code in the image is for Mac (for
pre-historic reasons, IMNSHO). Only the interpreter and some plugins are
cross-plattform.

> What is the magnitude of this task? Is it mostly turning the crank, or
> is a thourough understanding of the squeak interpreter and the target
> OS necessary?

There is only one unified X/Unix port that should cover FreeBSD via
autoconf. If anything special is necessary for FreeBSD it should go into
the configure script - send your changes to Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr

> Refer me to the documentation and I will gladly RTFM.

That would be http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/

  -Bert-