[ENH] Building under MPW

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Mar 3 17:31:22 UTC 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:59:17 -0500 (EST) Jesse Welton <jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>Another issue
>is that I never had any luck building an optimized VM under MPW 3.5, so
>the makefile is changed to ask for an unoptimized build. (The
>"optimized" VM exhibited numerous display anomalies, then crashed quite
>rapidly.)

FWIW, I've had similar problems, but finally things settled down when I used MrC 3.0.1 to compile interp.c and MrC 4.1 to compile the rest. There may be some other differences between the two environments, but the compiler is the most obvious. Once compiled, it showed some interesting performace differences compared to the distributed VM (10% faster in some tests, 10% slower in others).

Cheers,
Bob