Display Update Speed

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Thu Mar 23 05:13:39 UTC 2000

Lex,

Please check that you're actually running one of the accellerated versions
of xfree86 - there are huge speed differences. The 32bit display depth
shouldn't matter as much (except for 16 bit since this is where the hard fun
goes); here are my results running on 1024x768x32 (PII/400, Win98, ATI Rage
LT)

32   26  27  26  27
16   90  90  92  93
8   33  33  33  33
4   30  30  29  31
1   20  20  19  20

Except from the 16<->32 bit conversions it's all in the range of 30-40 fps
which is as it should be on a hardware like this.

BTW, if anyone is *really* interested in this issue here is something to
play with. Inplace pixel conversion. E.g., rather than allocating an extra
pixmap you go on and reverse bytes/words or change color components directly
in the display bits. The Win32 VM does it and it is rather effective. I
think that this is actually due to increased cache coherence - the initial
reversal pass will load pretty much all of the image data into L2 RAM so
that actual data transfer to the screen and the post-reversal step all come
from the cache.

  - Andreas