Squeak viruses (was Re: [VIRUS WARNING] Re: Check this)

Lawson English english at primenet.com
Sat Mar 4 03:07:05 UTC 2000

Sure, but the hackers that want the thrill of doing the latest kind of hack
are going to be more interested in DOS attaacks that screwing with John Q
Public's file directory.

If Squeak provides outside world access to the plug-in, then ANY kind of
hack should be possible. You've got the full power of SmallTalk to work
with in writing it...

On Fri, Mar 3, 2000 6:31 AM, Lex Spoon <mailto:lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

>It's not passe if they're *your* files.  Anyway, broken security is
>broken security.  Worrying about which exact way you're going to get
>screwed is pleasantly morbid but doesn't make any progress on the
>problem.
>

>Lex
>

>"Lawson English" <english at primenet.com> wrote:
>> My unmentionable friend sugggests that Squeak's REAL potential for
>> hacking is as a potential Denial of Services server. If there's any
>> way to gain access to the outside world via the plug-in (forget about
>> access to a client's files, that's pass?), then you can use it to
>> send unauthorized data and instructions to other computers on the
>> web... or at least I think that is what he's said...

"If everyone lived with a sense of wonder, their lives would be filled with
joy."
-Last words of Doug Henning, 5/3/47 - 2/7/00